- Written by Michelle Martel
- CLICK HERE for SPRING 2017 Course Descriptions!
- We are launching a new Signature course "Russia: Between Empire and Nation" (01:860:272) in Spring 2017, taught by Prof. Bojanowska. The course, which combines two weekly lectures with a discussion section, is worth 4 credits and satisfies SAS Core Requirement 21C. For full description, click here.
- Announcing Professor Van Buskirk's book release!Lydia Ginzburg's Prose: Reality in Search of Literature (Princeton University Press)
In this pioneering study, based on a decade's work in the archives, Professor Van Buskirk focuses on Lydia Ginzburg's quest for a new kind of writing adequate to her times, and presents the author as a figure of previously unrecognized innovation and importance in the literary landscape of the twentieth century. Searching for a new concept of the self, and deeming the psychological novel inadequate to express this concept, Ginzburg turned to fragmentary narratives that blur the lines among history, autobiography, and fiction. This full account of Ginzburg's writing career in many genres and emotional registers enables us not only to rethink the experience of Soviet intellectuals, but to arrive at a new understanding of writing and witnessing during a horrific century.
- Congratulations to Professor Van Buskirk, who was awarded the Board of Trustees Research Fellowship for Scholarly Excellence this May!