William W. Derbyshire
Retired, June 1994
Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania (Russian and Slavic linguistics)
Homonymy in Slavic Languages, Russian Intonation, Slovene language and linguistics.
- IREX exchange of professors and teachers between USA and USSR, Moscow State University, summer, 1963
- Fulbright Research Fellow in Slavic Linguistics at Institut za lingvistiku, Zagreb University, Zagreb, Yugoslavia, l972‑73
- Rutgers University Research Council Fellow: 1972‑73 and 1989-90
- New Jersey Department of Higher Education ‑ Humanities Grant Program, 1984‑85
- Department of Education, Washington, DC, Research grants in 1989‑90 and again in 1995-96
A Basic Reference Grammar of Slovene. Slavica Publishers, Columbus, OH, 1993
A Learner's Dictionary of Slovene. Slavica Publishers, Bloomington, Indiana, 2002.
A Slovene reader. Rutgers University, 1994.
Articles / book chapters: approximately four dozen
Administrative Experience at Rutgers University
Chair or Director, Department of Russian / Slavic Languages and Literatures: 1971-1972, 1973‑79, 1985‑1993.
Secretary‑Treasurer, Society for Slovene Studies, l983‑86 and again 2002-2008
President, American Association of Teachers of Slavic and East European Languages, 1985 - 1987
Board of Directors, American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies, 1986‑89
Member, Board of Directors and Recording Secretary for the Santa Fe Opera Guild
Prof. Derbyshire currently does research and lectures on Russian and European opera.
Married, September 2013